Government Affairs Committee
On behalf of the Leavenworth-Lansing Chamber of Commerce, we are reaching out to our Chamber Members to assist the Chamber's efforts in rallying our federal delegation to end sequestration. As Kansas residents, businesspersons, and supporters of Fort Leavenworth, the Chamber is adamantly opposed to the reductions in Army manpower (soldiers and civilians) that will go into effect on October 1, 2015 if nothing is done about sequestration. Read Full Article Here
Addressed to Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins,
United States House of Representatives
- Legislative objectives and specific legislation the Chamber will actively support or oppose during the 2014 session:
- The Leavenworth-Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce opposes any bill that would prevent municipalities from partnering with private broadband providers, or, when necessary, developing themselves, the advanced broadband infrastructure that can stimulate economic growth and job creation across the state.
- The Leavenworth-Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce opposes legislation that expands property tax exemptions to include for-profit businesses.
- The Leavenworth-Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce supports proposed legislation to allow for limited self-distribution by Kansas microbreweries.
- The Leavenworth-Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce opposes any legislation that would restrict or prohibit the use of public funds by local units of government for lobbying purposes, or prohibit the use of public funds to pay membership dues to an organization that engages in lobbying activity.
- The Leavenworth-Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce supports The Market Place Fairness Act, which would help level the playing field for Kansas retailers.
- The health care costs of low income uninsured individuals are currently being passed on to area businesses and others supporting the health care system. As such, we support practical and near-term solutions that will maximize insurance coverage for all Kansans and reduce the burden on our local hospitals and other health care providers.