Government Affairs Committee
Advocacy on behalf of our members and business community is a priority of the Leavenworth-Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce. As a Chamber member you have full time advocates fighting for your interests in the political arena on issues that affect your business. Our Government Affairs Committee is fundamental in enhancing our community's business climate. These meetings are open to any Chamber member or member representative.
The Government Affairs Committee, as with all Chamber Councils, Committees, & Programs, is open exclusively to Chamber Members. If you're interested in becoming a Member of the oldest Chamber of Commerce in the State of Kansas, let us know, so you can begin to be involved today!
Legislative Priorities the Chamber will actively support in 2021 (and beyond):
- We supports increased funding for a comprehensive transportation program, including a 10-year statewide capital plan that prioritizes projects started in the previous T-Works program, local cost-share programs for improvements to state highways, and state-funded transportation studies.
- We support the restoration of funding and access to a full range of mental health care and services statewide and restoring the process of continued mental health reform.
- We support programs that develop an educated and skilled workforce, to include programs that get people to their workplace.
- We support practical and near-term solutions that would expand and maximize access to medical coverage options, such as Medicaid expansion and other options, and health care services for all Kansans, to reduce the financial burden on our local hospitals and other health care providers.
- We support relieving the burden on property owners by funding the Local Ad Valorem Tax Reduction (LAVTR) program. This should include keeping the promises made regarding the machinery and equipment mitigation legislation, future gaming revenues, and the existing statutory formula.
- We strongly oppose any state-imposed limits on cities' taxing and spending authority and supports repeal of the property tax lid. Local spending and taxing decisions are best left to the local officials representing the citizens that elected them.
- We support initiatives to continue offering revitalization tools and identifying funding sources for local businesses while protecting public health and safety during the ongoing pandemic, and after the pandemic to support recovery.